Please can parents be vigilant regarding the Momo challenge which is currently popping up on YouTube, Minecraft, social media and Whatsapp.
The Momo Challenge – facts for parents:
- Momo is viral game that encourages players to perform a series of challenges in order to meet ‘Mother Bird’ – a disfigured character This game encourages children to perform a series of progressively risky challenges
- MOMO is easily accessed via pops up through social media shares on Facebook, YouTube, and Whatsapp
- The challenges issued in this game present a serious risk to the safety, welfare and wellbeing of children and young people , as does the distressing content when a player refuses to carry on
How it works
- Players are encouraged to contact Momo and provide their mobile number
- They will then receive instructions to perform a series of challenges, via SMS or Whatsapp
- Player refusal can trigger abusive messaging and their mobile device being hacked
- A person doesn’t have to be searching for Momo themselves to be exposed to it and, unlike other games that children enjoy, there is no positive side to this
Teachers and parents need to educate/reinforce online safety, and in this way encourage children and young people to make the right choice and avoid this game.
Stress the importance of confidently saying “no” to invitations to play games from strangers, know why they should not click on unidentified links and know how to ‘block’ unknown numbers and friend requests.