Guidance on packed lunches and drinks at Bosworth
Bosworth Academy is a Healthy School and recognises the importance of diet and nutrition in the learning and development of all students.
Please note that the below information acts as guidance for parents, carers and students, but at Bosworth Academy we do not allow students to bring in fizzy cans and bottles such as cola. We also do not allow students of any age to drink energy drinks.
School meals are a great choice for your child, but if you choose to make a packed lunch for them instead here are some tips for preparing a healthier lunchbox.
What to include in your child’s lunchbox
A healthier lunchbox should:
- be based on starchy carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta)
- include fresh fruit and vegetables/salad
- include a source of protein such as beans and pulses, eggs, fish, meat, cheese (or dairy alternative)
- include a side dish such as a low-fat and lower-sugar yoghurt (or dairy alternative), tea cake, fruit bread, plain rice/corn cakes, homemade plain popcorn, sugar-free jelly
- include a drink such as water, skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, sugar-free or no-added-sugar drinks
The Eatwell Guide shows you how to have a healthy balanced diet and can help you decide what to put in your child’s lunchbox.
Find healthy lunchbox ideas at Change4Life.
This information is taken from the NHS Livewell website.